[RPM] Complementary Skills and Path Skills

lundi 30 mars 2015

Hi all,



This is just an idea I've been toying with over the last couple of days. It started when I was looking through the Path Skills and deciding which I wanted to keep, which I wanted to lose, and which I wanted to alter. I eventually came to the conclusion that in my setting there is no appreciably difference between Path of Body and Path of Matter, living creatures do have an essential nature, but this is better represented through Path of Mind.



However, I still wanted to keep the feel of one mage being an expert on the human body, and another being an expert on craftsmanship. But to me the difference is the knowledge of how to best apply their magic. This led me to the idea of applying the rules for Complementary Skills to magic. So a mage may roll against a mundane skill relevant to their casting in order to get a bonus to their rolls. For a healing spell this might be Physician or Surgery, for an Explosive Fireball it might be Explosives (Demolition).



There's one slight change, I'd give success or failure by 5 or more the modifier for a critical success/failure, just to give a bit more incentive to acquire high skill.



I quite like the feel of the idea, it gives characters more reason to purchase mundane skills to flesh out their characters, whilst still allowing unskilled mages to 'brute force' their way through.



So what do you think of the idea?



I'd also be happy to hear suggestions of how else to handle it.

[RPM] Complementary Skills and Path Skills

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Labels