Minion Allies // roleplaying Slave Mentality

mercredi 25 février 2015

This question is a two-parter, because the topics are closely related. I hope that's okay.



Part one: Suppose a PC has one or more Allies with the Minion enhancement - does the PC control them? The Minion is unquestionably loyal anyway, so they might as well save the GM the trouble. What if they have the Slave Mentality limitation?



I realize that it's certainly a matter of taste; many GMs would not want to relinquish that kind of control. I find that I'd rather have the GM play my Ally if my PC had one, but if I was the GM I'd rather leave that to the PC (with Rule Zero veto power, of course). What are your opinions?



(I wanted to include a poll to make this easier for you, but couldn't find the options. Sorry!)



Part two: Regardless of who controls an Ally with Slave Mentality, how should they be portrayed? The description states that a character afflicted with this disadvantage has full use of his intelligence and creativity, but lacks so much initiative that he is at a serious risk of literally starving with lunch money right in front of him, if not instructed (specifically or via standing order) to go buy food and eat.



I find this difficult to imagine, if not outright contradictory. Zombies would display such lack of initiative, but also lack the intelligence. Robots that are advanced enough to correctly interpret and execute verbal commands would certainly have a sophisticated set of self-maintenance subroutines to default to, in accordance with Asimov's Third Law. So, how should I imagine this trait?



Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Minion Allies // roleplaying Slave Mentality

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Labels